Friday, December 4, 2009

I Have a Confession to Make













I'm cheating on WoW with Dragon Age. There, I said it, do what you will.

It's a great game so far. I'm still in Lothering, doing simple quests like killing bears and bandits and such, but I like the combat scheme it has going for it. They've even introduced a mechanic that taunts enemies and makes them focus one party member.

Where have we seen this before? Sounds tank-y.

There's also a spell that I haven't picked up at all called Heal. I wonder what that's for.

Sadly enough, however, I have not run into a priest or something like that yet. I do have a hot witch girl voiced by Claudia Black, which I picked up on almost immediately and became very excited (Stargate SG-1, seasons 8-10 anyone?). And some ex-nun who is now a rogue... for some reason. I don't understand her back story, nor do I particularly care to look into it; she is quite extraneous.















I only have a couple complaints about the game so far. First of all, when you fight people, blood goes everywhere and you get blood specks on your armor and face. While this in and of itself isn't bad, it's that every time a cut-scene happens right after a fight, you see those blood specs and it looks RIDICULOUS. Then again, I didn't grow up during the Middle Ages, and wouldn't know about the patterns of blood spatter when an arm is cleaved off with a two-handed sword. I could give them the benefit of the doubt with this one.

However, the second complaint is actually about the gameplay itself: you seem to die WAY too easily. I picked a warrior (naturally, it was the closest thing I could get to a ret) and because of their "the character with the heaviest armor gets focused" game mechanic, my main character goes through health potions faster than Tiger Woods through a fire hydrant (too soon? I don't think so) Or for those of you attuned to the elemental nature of football, faster than Adrian Peterson through a speed trap.

They've always said that guy was fast...

Anyway, maybe it's just the beginning of the game and my nub ass hasn't gotten any gear worth anything, so getting hit hard is a natural consequence. Still, it's annoying as hell.

Stop being so fleshy and vulnerable, Aiden. Stop it.

1 comment:

  1. On this topic, I can't make a extremely helpful and constructive comment like I usually do. Come back to wow and play ret pally.

    ReplyDelete